Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Stop Making Sequels

Just put the old ones in theatres again. Enough time has passed so that there is a generation of kids that haven't even seen The Lion King has been born. Yes, it's true, there are children that haven't seen The Lion King now. They grew up right on the gap of transition between DVD's and VHS's. The parents have a copy of The Lion King but it's on old VHS tape and the VCR got stashed in the garage or attic years ago. Fortunately, there is hope for them!

Furthermore, the experience of watching a movie on the big screen in a theatre full of other people is something else, just as concerts are different from listening to CDs at home. The collective gasps when Mufasa falls to his death, the laughter of the audience when Timon and Pumba do their hula dance, these are things that kids will never experience again. I feel like this is a shame. Movies are different when it is a shared experience, and I don't just mean watching it with 5 friends or some such small number. Sadly, this is something that a lot of foreign movie cinephiles miss out on. I got lucky once. The Chinese Student Association at uni managed to arrange a showing of Infernal Affairs in the theatre on grounds. Most exquisite, it was.
And I'm not just saying that about the movie itself. (O_<)-b

Which leads to my point: Why not just re-release the old classics again from time to time? Without having to pay millions for production of a new movie, hiring actors, sinking loads of money into what is always a calculated gamble, etc. I am pretty sure a profit could be made in there somewhere. Some one look into this.

For now we have Ghostbusters and apparently Top Gun in 3D. Not bad, not bad. I mean, it doesn't have to be in 3D but hey, I'll take what I can get. It's your investment money.

P.S. Yeah, that IS how I spell 'theater', ok? º\(︵≧≦)/º

10 comments:

  1. it's all just supply and demand. we have to stop going for them to stop making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with -E-, and I also agree with just about everything said. Not just stop making sequels though, stop remakes too. Re release those classics that millions would watch, like the lion king!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, we need the originals, the classics again! I don't think I ever got the chance to see them in theatre tho, as a kid...

    Hahaha, funny, I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't pointed it out since that's how I spell 'theater' too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the exact same comment as -E- on another blog yesterday that was announcing the Point Break remake. As long as dummies keep buying tickets, the studios will keep making sequels and remakes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree there are a lot of unnecessary sequels, but when people choose to just re-release the movie instead, you get a lot of people complaining instead that they're just releasing old ones because they're out of ideas.


    Which, they are. Endless sequels proves this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great idea. But I'll only support it after I sell my script based off the game Go Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Remakes usually aren't as good as the original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting point. I agree. I'll be looking forward to Ghostbusters in October.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're totally right! They should do that! I was just talking to a friend about what it would take to own a theatre! I might bring this idea up to him!
    I'd love to see my old favorites in theatres again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed, agreed! It seems as if nearly half of all the movies that come out nowadays are based on something that was done before. Like all the superhero films, or the Smurfs, holy cow. It'd be fun to see when exactly people ran out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete