Friday, September 30, 2011

Those First-Year Punks...(_¬¬)

So I mentioned in the last post that I don't like first-years and here's why: Most of them don't know what they want to do yet. That is to say they join a whole bunch of clubs at the start of the year and then, when they actually get homework, they drop out because they didn't realize the commitment it takes to learn a martial art.

Oh, woops. Did I mention my whole dislike of their ilk stems from my experiences in martial arts clubs?

Most of them have never done any martial arts before. I don't hold this against them. I encourage everyone to take one up. It really goes beyond just making you physically fit, although I will make no arguments about enhancing your ability to defend yourself in a dangerous situation. That really isn't something that a person has to deal with on a day-to-day basis in our society now. (It's true.) It pushes your body further than a regular sport. Your entire body becomes a single tool. There's nothing like it, I tell you. But then, I might just be naturally inclined to feel this way due to my heritage.
╮(╯ヮ ╰)╭

Anyway, quite the tangent there, I don't hold that against them. What I do not tolerate is the lack of dedication. This isn't intramural kickball or soccer. You can't just learn the rules and work out and go at it. It takes technique. Form. That's where they falter. A good portion of the initial interested newcomers will drop off when they winnow their club commitments down to a select few. That's inevitable. But then the ones who stay find out that they have to learn fundamentals before they can do all the cool shit they saw in the movies and on TV. And they bail. Bloody wankers indeed....


11 comments:

  1. I understand your anger, everyone seems to think everything is easy and anyone who acomplishes anything is just doing something easy that anyone could have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a part of a taekwondo club for a while when I was younger and there was one near me. I have to say I actually really loved it, and yeah it was a lot of hard work, but it was worth it. There were some people that treated it like the people you're talking about. They had no discipline and didn't seem to care, and there were some awesome people. I sadly only made it to yellow belt though, I can't totally remember why I stopped going. I moved away from that area now anyway, but I would still like to take up a martial art again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like this in general.
    When people want to do something and then realize that it actually takes some dedication, to not suck at it, so they just stop, since that's too much work. Most people are like that though. That's why you have only select few who achieve greatness in any field. It's not only because they're talented, but because they were willing to go that extra distance and sacrifice more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a type of person, sometimes they grow out of it, thus your mentioning first years, but some people are like this for most of their lives. I think it's pretty sad myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa. I always wanna learn martial arts but it's expensive in here ;-) so I never got the chance :)

    oh, btw..I noticed you change your photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mai Yang: There's also a topic bar at the top and a search bar at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your rant applies to any skill that takes years of dedication to master. There will always be fools who think they can pick it up in a weekend. Or try and learn one trick that to show off with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I noticed you've changed your profile pic...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Taekwondo club! Love this blog post! A really interesting read! Followed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I get what you mean.
    I have a friend very similar to this "type".
    She could never dedicate herself to anything. Really annoying. =_=... I wonder if she'll ever grow out of it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Tifa: If she doesn't, find a new friend!!! \(9.9)/

    ReplyDelete