Friday, September 23, 2011

Favorite Word #3: Vicissitudes

Vicissitudes - n. the alternating changes in circumstance and fortune in life; the ups and downs.

Although the word applies to both the rising and falling of fortune it's most often used when the fortune falls. For example, you find a $20 bill on your way to your car but find a parking ticket under the wiper when you get there. Some (that is to say, I) would lament "the vicissitudes of life". Loudly. And with much arm waving.

\(T.T\) (/T.T)/

7 comments:

  1. Thats life, sometime your ahead sometimes your behind!
    (also in the cartoon I'm supprised they noticed the notes before they noticed their money was gone!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're not -E-, but I still like this word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @D4: Lol, the purpose of the Favorite Word series isn't to introduce esoteric words to people. It's exactly what it is labeled. My personal favorite words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Schadenfruede, both the actual word itself, and actual schadenfreuede, I love the misery of others. Someone elses pain is my hilarity. I also now have a wonderful idea to begin my life of crime. Or spreading love. Crime is easier though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, you guys know i can hear you, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you kick, sometimes you get kicked?

    ReplyDelete