Sunday, September 4, 2011

My Excellent Password ( ̄︿ ̄)7 *salute*

Today I completely retired my first password.

It's a fact that most people use very simplistic passwords for fear they themselves will forget them. Despite all the advice NOT to use birthdays, names of relatives/children/pets, and what-not a lot of people still use them as passwords. Or perhaps they rationalize that if a skilled hacker really wanted to get at their data they'd get in, no matter how good their password was. That's not really good logic there but whatever. Another problem: People tend to use the same log-in name AND password for a lot of different accounts (I myself was guilty of this for a long time). Personally, I made up an awesome password and I used it for everything cuz it was so secure, so I believed. Then I realized: if someone wanted to take advantage of that tendency, they would only need to make a website, attract loads of people to register accounts and they'd basically have people handing them the virtual keys to their virtual houses. When I realized this I started to make specialized passwords for individual log-ins. Actually they would more aptly be called 'passcodes'. Sure, it's a little more complicated but it means that if people break into one room they still won't have free run of the entire house, so to speak. Think about it. If you register on some forum dedicated to, for example, discussing the TV show Game of Thrones with the same log-in and password you use for your online bank account there will be serious trouble if someone decides not to deal with the security features of the bank site and instead come through an unsuspecting fan forum, yeah?

People's faces when they see me type it in.
So any ways, I followed another piece of oft ignored advice: Change your passwords periodically. If you still use that password you came up with when you first signed up for Hotmail, you might be ok. Then again you might not. I for one, prefer peace of mind. So anyway, I completely retired the first passcode I came up with back in 10th grade. And it's pretty awesome. While my brother and sister still used, get this, they still used actual words as passwords I was using this:

yg-9f/v4rfls-g37

Yeah, super cool right?

13 comments:

  1. So did I (I do change periodically)! but I have different passwords in every account, from myspace, emails, and any other social networking site. hehe

    Most of the time I forgot my password because I have too many to remember and I dunno which one os for this account and blah blah blah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time I forgot my password because I have too many to remember and I dunno which one of for this account and blah blah blah :) (corrected)

    re your comment: ^_____^ I hope your kidding! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm paranoid about something, I'll have a legitimate pass. Nothing as stunning as yours, but still better than 'mybirthyearandmonth' or 'bandilove'. If it's some stupid site I could just make another account for it's simpler, but still not really simple. Nawmean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've now made me paranoid about this, and I might have to start mass changing passwords -_- I couldn't remember that password of yours though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i use a combination of symbols and letters in order to make a quasi-word. sort of a compromised between the two extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use different passwords for each accounts, but I never thought of changing them periodically - I'll just hope that I won't be hacked. Now that I'm reading this, I remembered this time when my mother used my computer (and I can't stand anyone going through my files, and she knew that well) so I added a password; after a while my computer broke and the guy who fixed it needed the password which was a very embarrassing combination of words. So yeah, awkward moment..
    The password you invented is pretty sick, how did you even remembered it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol.. You make me feel bad now. I use one password for all my accounts so I don't forget.. XD !!
    *Embarrassed!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny I still have a hotmail password right now that consists of only 3 letters, its an old account I created long before it was bought by Microsoft that I never use anymore.

    But everything else uses a different random long password managed by a KeePass database.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol, I like that.

    Btw, I just want to inform you that I just link your blog on my blog list, hope you can get some more traffic :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, that's crazy you were able to remember that, even after all the repetition. So did your passwords get simpler or more complex? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. @tracirz: My passwords are more complex now. I neglected to mix upper and lower case letters in there the first time. What a faux pas...

    ReplyDelete