Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Not Quite Emoticons But Close

Way back when I posted about my love for emoticons.

Less back I mentioned 9gag.

What do these have in common? Well, the usage of emoted reaction faces edges the masses ever closer to the use or at least understanding of emoticons in text! Oh, what a happy day for me it will be when I see everyone using emoticons made of characters rather than this prefabricated shit:


I've already mentioned how 9gag is much changed from how it used to be even a year ago. A good 80% of the material posted there everyday now consists only of multi-panel anecdotal comics using an array of the '9gag faces'.

I can't in good conscience say this is a better 9gag now, but all this makes for good progress on the emoticon front.

BUT I would be remiss if I didn't make sure you all knew that 4chan was the birth place of many of these. That shouldn't surprise you. 4chan birthing memes? Say it ain't so! But then we have all kinds of what we call 'Reaction faces'.

There's a faction of haters from 4chan who still labor under the belief that our fav forum is some kind of exclusive clubhouse and they cry when they see "4chan memes" getting appropriated by other communities like 9gag, Tumblr, and Reddit.


What dumb fucks.
I for one like to see that we aren't such weirdo outcasts after all. ╮(╯_╰)╭
The reason I believe the term '9gag faces' works fine is because back at 4chan we have many different jpgs to express a certain sentiment for things, but on 9gag they use only one template once the community has 'decided' on one.
Example: Are you serious?

9gag always uses this one.
But 4chan, doesn't really have set pieces.
Pretty much, any appropriate screencap will do here.

14 comments:

  1. Don't they call for blood if you use emoticons on 4chan though? Or they used to. Also let me see if I understand this right. On 9gag if you want to use a "Are you fucking serious?" reaction face, you generally use that one face? Every user? *Insert are you fucking serious face here* I suppose I can kind of understand it, but it seems like a lack of creativity and a way to kill something fast with over saturation. I would also like to say I don't know anyone who uses emoticons better than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, on the imageboard 4chan, we use the reaction faces to reply to threads and such.
      On 9gag, not an imageboard, we can only comment with text on the images posted. The face is used in the submitted image itself. It is what's known as an image macro. As such, it isn't a creativity issue at all since it's an established template. As far as over-saturation... that's a separate issue.

      I take the compliment. I've worked hard to get where I am today. Thank you, thank you.

      Delete
  2. The beginning of this post confuses me because it doesn't quite add up with the rest of it.. Maybe I'm confused. It'd be likely today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started by linking back to some posts where in I touch on the subjects of '9gag' and 'emoticons'. The primary topic of this article is the increased usage of certain stylized faces in order to convey set emotions, which I take as a sign of progress towards a less text-based mode of communication.

      Delete
  3. I tried to use a rage comic pic in a previous blog i think i used the wrong face tell me what you think. I think the will smith one would be better suited for my particular blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yugi knows the deal.

    Also, I never really understood 4chan, but I think I'm a little afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fear comes well founded. Very well founded.

      Delete
  5. What is this 4chan of which you write?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a comprehensive collection of memes! My fav is the "oh god why" face, because I often feel like that...OH GOD WHY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be comprehensive. That's the 'armory' as it were, for 9gag comics.

      Delete
  7. Who are you calling a weirdo outcast?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you are not a /d/eviant. N-not that I am either.
      (- - ) ( - -)

      Delete