Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Not Quite Emoticons But Close

Way back when I posted about my love for emoticons.

Less back I mentioned 9gag.

What do these have in common? Well, the usage of emoted reaction faces edges the masses ever closer to the use or at least understanding of emoticons in text! Oh, what a happy day for me it will be when I see everyone using emoticons made of characters rather than this prefabricated shit:


I've already mentioned how 9gag is much changed from how it used to be even a year ago. A good 80% of the material posted there everyday now consists only of multi-panel anecdotal comics using an array of the '9gag faces'.

I can't in good conscience say this is a better 9gag now, but all this makes for good progress on the emoticon front.

BUT I would be remiss if I didn't make sure you all knew that 4chan was the birth place of many of these. That shouldn't surprise you. 4chan birthing memes? Say it ain't so! But then we have all kinds of what we call 'Reaction faces'.

There's a faction of haters from 4chan who still labor under the belief that our fav forum is some kind of exclusive clubhouse and they cry when they see "4chan memes" getting appropriated by other communities like 9gag, Tumblr, and Reddit.


What dumb fucks.
I for one like to see that we aren't such weirdo outcasts after all. ╮(╯_╰)╭
The reason I believe the term '9gag faces' works fine is because back at 4chan we have many different jpgs to express a certain sentiment for things, but on 9gag they use only one template once the community has 'decided' on one.
Example: Are you serious?

9gag always uses this one.
But 4chan, doesn't really have set pieces.
Pretty much, any appropriate screencap will do here.