Monday, August 8, 2011

Emoticons

Some people feel that textual communication is very limited, that it lacks a robust range of expression due to the difficulty of conveying such emotions as sarcasm, humor, anger and such. I for one do not believe this must be so. I'm sure you've heard such nuggets of information as "Facial expression and body language play important roles in communication" or some such at some point in your lives. True, text doesn't normally allow for these additional facets but here is where emoticons come in.

While most of you will think of something like this when I say emoticon: :-) The 'smiley' that started it all. I actually do not like what I call "sideways emoticons". Doesn't it feel a little odd to you reading this sentence horizontally and then an emoticon like this D< popping up?  That's an angry one, for you emoticon-illiterate types. As a result, my emoticon-ing exclusively deals with horizontal faces, save for this one: XP. The good old tongue sticking out emoticon does not have an easy horizontal equivalent and I'm not so blindly fanatical that I would ban myself from using it.

Bridging the gap between cold pixels and the person behind the keyboard, I present to you my personal favorite emoticons.

The happy

(^_^) (^ヮ^) (>ワ<) (≥ヮ≤) (º▽º) ( ' ◡ ' )

The angry

(ಠ▂ಠ)凸 (ಠ_ಠ) (òmó)9

The Y U No

(سಥ益ಥ)س

The shocked

(⊙Д⊙)

The sad

(ㅎ︿ㅎ) (。。__) (T﹏T) 囧興◄Is a turtle

The carefree

╮(╯ヮ╰)╭ (  ̄____ ̄ ) ( ^^.)~~♪ ♫

The approving

(O◡O)-b

The disapproving

(O︵O)-p

The suspicious

(⌐⌐__) (__¬¬)

The injured

(#▂><) (✖__%)

The undead

(FÒmó)F

The table-flip

(ノÒ_ó)ノ ╧╧"


The exasperated

(__´ゝ`)

The fop

_███_
(ಠ_ృ) <"Pish posh!"

6 comments:

  1. hahhaha cool stuff... i'm using these for sue in the future!!!...nice blog btw....followed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the textual barrier, really. Maybe with sarcasm or things, is there an emote for sarcasm? Regardless, there's lots of good authors out there who've managed to express these things without the need to go into third person and explain it and when I post I draw inspiration from there. And sometimes I'm just hesitant because some emoticons are just so out there that even when explained they don't make sense to me, but I never -really- tried, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah without a cheat sheet, I would never be able to figure out what those mean.

    I've seen it somewhere, I think it was reddit, where there is a movement to use a backwards question mark "؟" to denote irony or sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, i have a really hard time getting sarcasm to come across. that has been a big problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @D4: When I say textual communication I don't mean books, I mean emails and instant messaging. Hope that clears things up.

    @Bonjour Tristesse: I get that sometimes haha, but I 'spose being Asian I'm pre-disposed to this sorta thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. <(*_*(< I like emoticons too.~!
    My favourites are the kitty looking ones. =^.^=

    ReplyDelete