Sunday, May 13, 2012

Inevitable

I was hanging around on imgur today, looking through the clever captions, when I found myself thinking, "Damn, this place is pretty nice. Wonder when the masses are going to show up and ruin everything."
They love puns over there. I love them for it.

But then I thought about it. It should be entirely unsurprising if I am in the same place where most people are. This is the same principle that is in effect when you wonder why you always seem to be in the longest line at the supermarket. Based on random probability alone, you are obviously most likely to be in the line that has the most people in it, see?

Of course that disregards the fact that we aren't going to sites at random. But the very fact that I was drawn to a place from somewhere else indicates the same is probably happening to many others. Should I begrudge them of this happy place just because I am now on the inside myself?

2 comments:

  1. Well no, hopefully other people will see it that way as well and not screw it up for everybody else. Though I'm not there at least. Though my being there probably wouldn't affect the chances of the masses turning up and ruining it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean. But like you had mentioned earlier, it's not the masses, it''s the stupid people within the masses. I don't hate on masses, I just dislike the people who ruin everything. It doesn't matter that they got there the same way I did.

    ReplyDelete