Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Blog Title

It isn't hard to figure out but those of you who still don't know what my blog's name means, or never gave it any thought, here's your last clue.


So. Anything? You get it? Too late.

The title, A 1Tofu Life, is two things:
1) Two movie references
2) A pun

One reference is to an old American movie called "It's A Wonderful Life" [1946]. The subtitle of my blog's name comes from the thank-you card at the end. The pun comes in because 'tofu' in Cantonese is dau6fu6.

While '1 tofu' admittedly only barely sounds like 'wonderful', '1 daufu' sounds much closer. This, in itself, is an obscure reference to a scene from the movie Once Upon A Time In China II [1992] when Wong Fei Hung's disciple uses terrible Chinglish to greet a foreigner.

8 comments:

  1. oh. I was thinking of the food tofu :D hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my soy products. Just not obsessed.

      Delete
  2. 1 daufu does sound like "wonderful" and it makes your title funnier now. I'm also a fan of obscure references so all in all you have my seal of approval here.

    I need an actual seal of approval now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had you pegged as someone who did recognize the reference. You disappoint me, Mark. (^o^)\

      Delete
  3. Awesome! And then I think of all the people who just use lame and unintresting blog names! I wish more bloggers would be like you!

    Do you do a lot of obscure post titles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my post titles are usually straight forward so *I* can figure out what I was writing about when I look through the pile.

      Delete
  4. I always figured that's what it meant, but somehow never made the association with the Cantonese pronunciation. Make's perfect sense now. The Cantonese do love their puns.

    ReplyDelete