Tuesday, March 27, 2012

MMORPG and FPS and I'm all out of acronyms...

Any of you play Guild Wars? It's a wonderful online RPG and the sequel is actually gathering beta players as we speak. I've always loved GW more than WarCraft because of the art style. It isn't as cartoony as WoW (oh nice, another acronym). Furthermore, it had a captivating storyline that really drew me in.

What struck me today was that I remembered there are/were a lot of GW players who didn't care about the storyline at all and only played the game's PvP (player vs player) side. I'm like, "What the heck?!" Since when did people start playing RPGs without stories?! What do they think this is, an FPS? And the irony is that, on the other hand, FPS games have really engaging stories these days.
 Think Half-Life, Halo (which I've already praised), CoD: Black Ops, and Mass Effect. That last one really blurs the line but whatever.

Gone are the classic days of Doom and Quake and ROTT (Rise of the Triad) in which we, for all intents and purposes, just a floating batch of guns. To this day I don't know why and what the hell I was killing all those monsters for. ╮(╯ヮ╰)╭

But in a role playing game, how do you leave out that "role playing" part?

In other news, I still think it's odd for a person to play using an opposite gender avatar. (Avatar! Look that word up.) And the people who say they want something nice to look at.... You spend your time ogling your character? That's a little unsettling.

In more news, playing Guild Wars really have me an appreciation for small increments of time. 3 seconds can be a very long time when lots of things are happening. I'll never forget that.

12 comments:

  1. Its funny cause I'm the exact opposite! I use to play firstpersonshooters for the playervsplayer bits and never played the storys! (which is weird cause I'm a loner!)

    (In DOOM you kill them cause you want them dead! If you didn't you wouldn't play the game!)

    I agree its weird for people to play opposite genders but then I think: It would be nice to have some hot character back to stare at as I run around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But are you, though? I don't find myself staring at any characters, mine or otherwise, after a while.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a gamer... so i don't know what those acronyms even mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once dedicated an entire post to people who play the opposite gender. I used to play Warcraft, and I've had Guild Wars suggested to me, and I may try it, but for now I'm content with accepting that I can't unlock my graphics cards true potential, or this is as good as it gets and it's nowhere near as good as my old one. As such I can't really play PC games much. On the topic of people forgetting to enjoy the story in RPG's, I saw that a lot in Warcraft too. I didn't pay a great deal of attention, but I still knew more than most other people, and I found myself reading pretty much all the tie in books and mangas that went with it for an extra understanding. I would read wiki articles on the characters too.

    So actually I guess I did pay attention to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the story is what can make a game timeless. Take MechWarrior 2 for example. Graphics haven't aged well on that game and the mechanics are fine but what really marks it as a significant game is the rich story it has. Otherwise you could easily just play later, more high-tech games and get the same experience.

      Delete
  4. Uh, maybe it's just me but this felt a little bit all over the place. I'll stick to the basics and no, I haven't played it but then I'm not much of a gamer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, man. It *was* all over the place. Perhaps I've spoiled you with my more coherent offerings of late?

      Delete
  5. It has been a while since I played any games. -.- I blame school! I still play a little Halo and COD with friends at school from time to time though. I'd be sure to try out Guild Wars :D when I finish with school this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold out for Guild Wars II. It's coming out soon. ~Ish.

      Delete