Tuesday, March 27, 2012

MMORPG and FPS and I'm all out of acronyms...

Any of you play Guild Wars? It's a wonderful online RPG and the sequel is actually gathering beta players as we speak. I've always loved GW more than WarCraft because of the art style. It isn't as cartoony as WoW (oh nice, another acronym). Furthermore, it had a captivating storyline that really drew me in.

What struck me today was that I remembered there are/were a lot of GW players who didn't care about the storyline at all and only played the game's PvP (player vs player) side. I'm like, "What the heck?!" Since when did people start playing RPGs without stories?! What do they think this is, an FPS? And the irony is that, on the other hand, FPS games have really engaging stories these days.
 Think Half-Life, Halo (which I've already praised), CoD: Black Ops, and Mass Effect. That last one really blurs the line but whatever.

Gone are the classic days of Doom and Quake and ROTT (Rise of the Triad) in which we, for all intents and purposes, just a floating batch of guns. To this day I don't know why and what the hell I was killing all those monsters for. ╮(╯ヮ╰)╭

But in a role playing game, how do you leave out that "role playing" part?

In other news, I still think it's odd for a person to play using an opposite gender avatar. (Avatar! Look that word up.) And the people who say they want something nice to look at.... You spend your time ogling your character? That's a little unsettling.

In more news, playing Guild Wars really have me an appreciation for small increments of time. 3 seconds can be a very long time when lots of things are happening. I'll never forget that.