Sunday, March 4, 2012

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

So I recently perused my local public library and noticed a book titled, "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist". I hadn't realized the movie was an adaptation.

Book was better. Natch.

Also, the movie was alright. But then I discovered and read the book. Now I see that the movie kinda sucks if it is to be considered an adaptation. Nick wasn't a pussy who grows a spine. Well, ok, I guess if you're going to cast Michael Cera in your movie, your character, whoever he may be, is going to turn out to be a pussy who grows a spine, but that's beside the point. Nick from the book is just a guy who needs to get over a broken heart. Nick from the movie is... Michael Cera.

Tris isn't a total cheating bitch. She turns out to be a decent friend to both Nick and Norah. Doesn't happen in the movie. She's just a cookie cutter jackass.

The movie lost so much of what made the book a good read. This is one of those instances when I wonder why they even bothered to purchase rights to make an adaptation rather than just making a movie. No one would have recognized where it "came" from anyway with how mutilated the story is anyway.