Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Blood Type

So it turns out my blood type is O+. That stuffs in high demand, did you know?!

I always thought Type O was the rarest because there's always a shortage of that type in blood banks but it is actually the most common. Now that I think about it, since O is the universal donor, that means all other blood types can accept transfusions of it, that's probably why it's perpetually short in supply.

© 2012 American National Red Cross
I have to admit, I've been wrong about a lot of stuff regarding blood types for a long time now. I just never remembered to look it up. See, I thought AB would be a Dominant trait or some such but it actually doesn't work like that at all. As you can see, AB is the rarest type.

© 2012 American National Red Cross
Most of the time an AB has to be a parent in order for the child to be an AB, and even then at best it is a 33% chance. All other combinations usually have a 50% chance for an O-type child. Gee...

All this to say, O-type blood really isn't rare in any sense. We just need more people to donate.

8 comments:

  1. That we do. But yeah, thanks becausse I know jack-all about blood types too. cool little chart helps out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I guess I am not so special after all. XD Thanks for the information though, you cleared a lot of things I did not know about before! As for donating blood, I would if I could v_v . Maybe sometime in the future :D !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno about you but I still feel special! My mom told me I am!

      Delete
  3. I actually have no idea what blood type I am. I've only ever had to give blood once and I don't remember asking or being told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If wherever you gave blood keeps records they should be able to tell you if you call them.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. A large percentage of Asians are! I thought I was a B for a long time, too.

      Delete