Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Apple and a Return to the Piracy Issue

The root of the piracy problem is the outdated capitalist system that the companies use.

I've quoted Gabe Newell from Valve before about piracy being a service issue not a pricing issue.

Now, I'm no fan of Apple for reasons I'll get into some other time and I'm no fan of Steve Jobs, living or dead. But I will recognize Apple for its great advancements in the way music is sold through iTunes. You can buy musics for $0.99, TV shows for $1.99 and movies for $12.99. From 2003 to 2006 iTunes Store sold over 1.5 BILLION music files. Clearly, people are willing to pay for stuff they could easily illegally download. The problem is not the people but the industry. They dont want to make changes that will threaten their profits so they hide behind current broken copyright laws.

Short post today. Just got back from serving as an Officer of Elections for the Republican primary here. 17 hours of continuous duty.

9 comments:

  1. It's slowly changing though. The future is becoming clearer with big advancements like Bandcamp. Artists can give their music away without resorting to torrents, people feel more comfortable and the real artists still get what they want. Even money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Bandcamp is definitely a big step forward.

      Did you hear about Louis C.K.'s site?

      https://buy.louisck.net/

      There are companies out there trembling with fear right now.

      Delete
  2. wow. still feel alive huh? good for you. A good rest to you :D

    Yeah. I also believe that it's not the people, it's the industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (= =____) Had to walk my sister to school at 8am....

      Delete
  3. An officer of elections? Odd thing to focus on I know. I have been willing to wait until I can buy something off Steam instead of just downloading it, part of the reason for that is that Steam is DRM free, and I can support that. This is also my problem with iTunes. The music might be cheap, but if you lose it, it's gone and you have to pay for it again. Unless they fix that, or they've already fixed it, I'm going to go for physical copies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Apple found a way to fuck that up iTunes, too.

      Delete
  4. I'm one of those who is going to pay for stuff I want, but not desorbitated prices.

    May cases can demonstrate that if you put a right price to a good, you'll earn more than if you put a inflated price to the same good, and it's the way that music and books have to take for evolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You speak true, but what is 'desorbitated'?

      Delete
  5. Yeah it's sad that innovation gets sidelined for profits. Would have been cool to see Megaupload's iTunes killer in action.

    ReplyDelete