Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween Time

So as you may have expected there's been a marathon of the Halloween movie series [1978 and onward] airing on AMC this week. In addition, Cujo [1983] was on a few nights ago.

The weakness of the American horror genre lies in its penchant for also being a thriller film. I've mentioned this before but I feel it needs to be reiterated. Americans do love their action. (And so the rise of Michael Bay came about haha.)

Unfortunately, this can only go on for so long before things get... tired. Audiences know what's coming and you get people saying, "Don't go investigate, bitch!". As for me, well, I'm already inclined to be critical of stupidity so I'll be the first to admit that I for one switch to celebrating the deaths of the dumb ass protagonists very quickly. Some might say alarmingly so.

You really can't expect me to place my hopes on some of these idiots, right?

Watching Halloween [1978], the first one, I just rolled my eyes every time Jamie Lee Curtis turned her back on Myers, assuming he was dead. What a dumb bitch... This happens twice.

In other news, at some point I read this top-rated YouTube comment:

"Jamie Lee Curtis is probably the greatest butter-face in history."

A bit mean but the comment has merit.

7 comments:

  1. I think "Don't go in there!" is quite a common phrase when it comes to horror movies. At least American ones. They also tend to mix thriller and horror. The Irish comedian Ed Byrne actually has a routine about how Michael Jacksons "Thriller" really was more of a "horror". I think they do just see the terms as interchangeable, and not everyone agrees with them on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how Halloween means to all of the foreigners but in the Philippines, lol, I dunno. there's nothing special about it :(

    and I dunno that movie, I don't think I will check it either. haha! ^_^

    are you gonna celebrate it too? can you share something about it after? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, if I'm going to watch a thriller, a nice death earns applause. It's particularly awesome if you're at the movies and there's AHHH's going on while you clap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at a crowded horror/thriller film once and an unstable individual two rows behind me would jump out of his seat and scream "CHOICE!" with his fists in the air every time someone was killed. I made sure I did not make eye contact with that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the horror movie Theres Nothing Out There.
    As for Jamie Lee Curtin: If I did her I'd stare her right in the face! Her face is hot!

    ReplyDelete