Monday, June 4, 2012

Selling Me My Own Shit

The idea for this post has been kicking around for a while. Unfortunately, I now run the risk of offending/saddening D-girl and Z-girl because they have since gifted me with these T-shirts.
No offense to you guys, really! I mean it! 
[For once. So feel special, damn it. <( ̄◡ ̄)>]
<= They saw this one in stores, separately, and they both thought of me and got it before meeting up and realizing they'd chosen the same gift idea! I'm so flattered by the sentiment, haha. I love those two. (o^__^o)

HOWEVER. Now comes the bad. No one should shell out money to buy these products from a store.

When I got the shirt(s) this train of thought didn't cross my mind in the moment. As it should be. I think...





Nevertheless, the truth and reality remain. Do you know where these memes came from? Do you remember? They came from us. US. US. Not from a corporate marketing think tank. Not from a yuppie advertising agent. Not from some capitalist blood-sucking entrepreneur. WE MADE THIS STUFF. And now you can see notebooks at Walmart with 'rage faces' on them.

Now, first I want you to know, there's nothing more than wishful thinking behind saying, "No, this shit shouldn't be sold at all."
OF COURSE SOMEONE THOUGHT TO SELL SHIT LIKE THIS. There's money to be made from the masses. And there's always, always someone willing to do the fleecing. You're gonna have to face reality some day. (How's that for wishful thinking on my part, heh.)
The point of control is the consumer. There are faggots who can and will sell shit, but we don't gotta buy it, see? IT'S ON YOU. I spit on the fucks who decided not to create something original and instead rushed to EXPLOIT. But I hate the people who reward them for it.

Naturally, as a human animal, I think differently when it comes to people I actually know and like, i.e. friends. (hurrdurr) It's a natural fact, neither good nor bad. I like the gift and I like the shirt. I just wish the Corporation hadn't been involved.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think badly of people who push it out at all. I couldn't do it just because I'd think low of myself, but if someone can do it without feeling like a worthless pile of poo, good for them. That being said, I still don't like when people actually buy it. People would go as far as to pay $25 for some T's online, when they could buy a regular one for less than 5 and make the iron on themselves. It's not like a well made shirt design where you can't get it anywhere else, you can get this image free, LEGALLY, anywhere on the internet. It's giving people money when you don't even have to.

    Also, without personally knowing D or Z girl, I feel bad for potentially offending them with my comment. If either of you read this: I'm sorry. My thoughts aren't too extreme, I can just express them easier here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with this. There will always be people who are willing to pay for things like this (no offence to your ladyfriends, I think it would be a good gift for you myself) and one of the only things worse than exploiting and stealing something you didn't make is when someone pays for it, and rewards it. It just encourages it to happen more and more. If the profits went to 9Gag, or somewhere else these memes were generated, I could almost justify it. But not for a faceless corporation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were fine until I got to that last line. Then you royally screwed yourself.

      Fuck, man. The ONLY difference between the exploitative faggots and 9gag is that 9gag isn't selling stuff. YET. 9gag is one of the internet's worst offenders when it comes to stealing material from other sites. It doesn't generate memes on its own at all. If 9gag started selling t-shirts with stolen memes, someone's gonna get shanked.

      Delete
  3. I'd buy a blank shirt and draw in on myself! (heck you could probably have a shirt printing company do it for quite cheap!)

    But I agree with you, mostly cause I think logos on shirts are always lame (In less there something you've made yourself). I wish more consummers cared but most are just mindless fools with lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz, I hope D-girl and Z-girl don't see that you're calling them mindless fools. They might take umbrage.

      Delete