Sunday, April 22, 2012

Are Humans Sapient?

I've heard some witty banter casting doubt on even human beings being able to lay claim to sapience. If you've ever worked in Retail I'm sure you have some anecdotal evidence of your own that some humans actually don't seem to have the ability to use logic and judgement. (>ワ<)

Nevertheless, all jokes aside, I believe the judgement doesn't lie on the very best or the very worst example from a species. You look at the mid-section of the bell curve, if you will. There might exist an aberrant horse or turtle that exhibits signs of sapience. Somewhere in the wilderness... But that doesn't mean the entire species gets the Sapience check-mark, you know? Conversely, dumb fuck humans don't strip humanity, as a species, of sapient status.

5 comments:

  1. Do you think these people are born dumb or are they just poorly educated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that poor judgement or logic is a sign that those traits still exist, even if used poorly. I don't think you can use them as a sign of a lack of sapience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I've been around too many people like that I'm hoping when I go to college It will filter out some of them

    ReplyDelete