Sunday, November 13, 2011

Heaters

I'd like to make it known that I do not intend to make the 'double post every other day' my new pattern. My aunts came down to visit the uncle (the one who was in the hospital) and I didn't get reliable and adequate access to internet for a while.

In other news they brought a portable electric radiator heater with them. I don't know about you but I've always believed radiators to be terribly inefficient heating elements. It relies purely on natural convection currents to spread heat around the room. This has always left me in a cold room with a large and cumbersome block that is hot/warm to the touch. AND NOTHING ELSE. Good for nothing but heating a pair of socks I'd lay across the top. THESE AREN'T RADIATORS, THEY RADIATE NOTHING! If anything these devices should be called convectors (I am unsure if this is an actual word but I'll say it anyway).

Is it just me? Did I just have a bad set, as it were? It can't be that radiators are just universally inefficient like this, right?
Note: When I say inefficient I don't mean the ratio of energy input to air temperature conversion. That is to say, radiator heaters may be perfectly non-wasteful with the energy put into operation but if it only heats the air by a few degrees I remain unsatisfied.

In my experience ceramic heaters and parabolic heaters are the best for doing what I want out of a heater: making me warm. The parabolic heater is great when I just need to heat my one self but it doesn't warm the air much. Therefore, the ceramic fan heater earns my top spot.

Yeah, I just posted about heaters cuz it's cold here. Lord Stark was right. Winter was coming.

6 comments:

  1. I.. wouldn't know. I've never needed to use one so..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know what to tell you. i haven't used one before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture about stark is so stupid that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is a weather program I could watch. I have my bed directly next to a radiator, and even with that, and covering up, I woke up with a cold caused by the cold air coming in through my poorly attached window. I think this was more a case of nature beating technology than it was a bad heating experience though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. why is Eddard Stark there? is he some kind of a weather reporter? haha!

    this post reminds me of my science subject way back and a little bit of physics. but anyway, glad we don't use heater here in the Philippines (since it's hot all the time), so I don't need to worry about the cold/winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My PC puts out a great deal more heat than one of those things. When I want the room warmer I run FOLDING or PRIME 95.

    ReplyDelete