Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA/PIPA

I considered doing one of the "go dark" things but I think my little blog here would better serve the cause with some information.



Here are some good links for more. Since you're here visiting my blog I'm going to make the assumption that, unlike most Americans, you read things you don't have to and might even like reading things.

http://www.fark.com/2012/sopapipa/
http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/technical-examination-of-sopa-and.html
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41911.pdf

If you don't live in the U.S. just know this: if you frequent sites with domain names of .com or .org your virtual "neighborhood" falls within our grasp.

I don't know about you but I look across my Bookmarks toolbar and I see this.


http://chadrocco.deviantart.com/art/SOPA-PIPA-Executive-E-Motions-280090484
The big companies backing SOPA/PIPA didn't want "their" money going to the artists then and they aren't concerned about any money going or not going to artists now.

You know what? I don't think anyone really believes the propaganda these big organizations are putting out. Really, they just want you to do nothing. They win that way, too.

============================================
Over the past few days I've become more and more cognizant of the fact that things weren't simpler when I was a kid, I was just ignorant and blind. That's not self-deprecation, by the way. Honestly, I believe that at that age it isn't good to have all kinds of heavy issues laid on an undeveloped mind. A part of growing up is discovering that reality isn't so simple after all. Yeah, now that I'm on this side of 20 I can see that a lot of these "adults" never grew up when they were supposed to.

8 comments:

  1. Even if this one gets shelved, they will just go back and rewrite the bill, maybe try to stuff the fine print into a completely unrelated bill that is sure to pass.

    I hope people don't get complacent after this and keep a vigilant eye on those crooks in Hollywood and DC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll try our best. At the moment though, I'm not going to make the dangerous assumption that SOPA/PIPA are *definitely* going to fail right now, either.

      Delete
  2. I agree with that last paragraph. I agree with how you're going about SOPA/PIPA right now. I also think BT has a point, and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that even as a non-American SOPA can royally fuck me in the ass. And will. It's not enough that they will censor a lot of sites I frequent, but also if a country like America does it, then other countries are going to be more open to it as well. Internet censorship in America could mean it everywhere. The good news is it has made an effect, both bills have lost backers, and hopefully they will continue to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing backers is only 45% of the solution. I ain't fallin' for that trick, no no. I need congressmen to *oppose* it, too.

      Delete
  4. I think BT is right as well. These giant corporations have so much influence in the US gov't that it's only a matter of time until they get a rewritten bill to pass.

    ReplyDelete