Saturday, January 7, 2012

Controller Redux

Just tying up some loose ends for this run of posts:
Console Controllers of the Big Three
The Playstation Controller 
The Xbox Controller
The pre-GameCube Nintendo Controllers

===============================================

Mark, I envy you for not having any issues with the PlayStation controller. Two fingers works fine for you, but it doesn't for me. Some of you might be like Mark, you might have no troubles with controller balance. But then, there were people who liked the original "Duke" Xbox controller. They probably had big hands, but my point stands. (Hey, that rhymes.)
----------------------------
While re-reading my Controller of Big Three post I noticed what might be construed as a contradiction I had made. I pointed out that I could use middle fingers for the triggers with the Xbox ctrllr then I proceeded to say that I naturally hold it with three fingers. These are both true. The ctrllr is balanced such that I can hold it with two or three fingers equally comfortably. The same holds true for the Gamecube ctrllr, but not for the PS ctrllr.
----------------------------
The Wii-mote is, in a word, wonderful. I won't post a dedicated entry for it because, well, I just don't have anything bad to say about it. The Wii remote itself feels perfectly natural, the motion capture technology works accurately and precisely. Ok, the latter has nothing to do with ergonomics but I felt I should give it due praise. The Nunchuk accessory also feels perfectly natural in hand, the cord comes with an agreeable length, not too long, not too short. So... yeah. Nothing much to say there. Well done, Nintendo. (O_O)-b
----------------------------
Check out the original design of the PS ctrllr:

 If you want to know more about what happened before we got the current iconic design just read this article.

===============================================
So there you go. I'll just leave you with these odds and ends which are related to consoles and such.

Ctrllr anatomy.
Medals from the Console Wars.
Left from top to bottom: SNES, NES, Sega Genesis.
Right: XBOX 360, PS-Could-be-Anything, Dreamcast.

End of the Console Wars. Most of us never cared that much anyway.


5 comments:

  1. Haha love the controller anatomy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The console wars are over? When did that happen? Or is it just that all the console people have banded together to fight the PC guys who are fighting on two fronts with the Macs? I'm so glad the first PS controller did not go ahead. I didn't know it was supposed to look like that. I was happier. I think I probably do have big hands, I didn't have problems with the original huge xbawx pads myself, but I do prefer the smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The x-box thing. Yeah, that was understood. But I can see it being confusing for some, so nice. Also, I have just one issue with the wii-mote, and that's the B button. It's way too easy for me to over do it and slip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Baur: There's a series of those, most of them not having anything to do with controllers.

    @Mark: It happened when all the fanboys grew up and the rest of us just play games for the fun.

    @D4: Even with the rubberized sheath?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly there will always be fanboys. It's just that less people are listening to them now.

    ReplyDelete