Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Other Place

So it turns out I didn't really have a good idea of what Tumblr was before setting out to make an account, haha. As is my wont, I thoroughly researched it, posthaste. The best description I found for it, and it's really very accurate, is this: "Tumblr is a cross between blogging and Twitter." That neatly encapsulates what this platform does, right there. Unlike this real blogging thing we have here, where we write paragraphs and insert multiple pictures to create a solid article about stuff we care about, on Tumblr you pretty much post a pic and write a caption or a short blurb of what you think about it. In addition, your Tumblr page will feature Tumblr posts you've Liked and Tumblr posts that you've "reblogged" from other people. It's really a completely different creature from Blogger and regular blogging, it even has its own term: "microblogging". Hey, look! I used "it's" and "its" properly!

==========================

 The commenting system only allows people you are Following to comment on your stuff. I suppose this cuts down on troll responses and such but it really limits the amount of feedback, doesn't it? You'd have to have the guy you're Following Follow you before any commenting could happen.
(- -__)

Lastly, and perhaps most egregiously, someone took the URL "onetofu.tumblr.com".

AND ALL HE EVER DID WAS REBLOG A SINGLE POST FROM A K-POP FAN'S TUMBLR. A YEAR AGO. That's it. A REBLOG. NOT EVEN ONE ORIGINAL POST. 

Bugger and blast him for wasting such a fine URL. 

So I had to adjust. It's fitting, though, since Tumblr is all about being more compact, eh?

17 comments:

  1. I've never really bothered with Tumblr.
    Congrats on ad pay out, that's good going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few people who manage to be original with it, who have really creative and artistic tumblr blogs. For the most part it's just reblogging, not my thing. Sad about the url too, I know what that's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in the two days since I've started my Tumblr I've realized it's about 80% reblogging. But I haven't reached a verdict on whether that's a completely bad thing. If something's good it spreads and gets to me.

      Delete
  3. Yay for reaching capacity! That is a damn shame about someone wasting the url like that. I'm not a big fan of Tumblr really, and I guess "Twitter meets blogger" is a decent description. It is essentially people tweeting blogs that are just pictures. Have you considered another format? Maybe wordpress? Or another blogger blog. Or even, Heaven forbid, a Livejournal. That felt bad just to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livejournal is out. (- -)

      Wordpress is basically just making a website. There's no "Following" so it isn't useful for my purposes.

      Another Blogger blog is incoming but it doesn't solve my problem: I want a Tumblr so I can Follow other Tumblrs.

      Delete
    2. Well if you still need a Tumblr anyway then I guess you're set. I follow three wordpress blogs myself actually.

      Delete
  4. Congrates on the cash! And good luck with tumbler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! The Tumblr doesn't have to be "successful" for me though.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the adsense! For some strange reason Google won't let me use it on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd. I guess if you wanted some supplementary ad income you could use the program D4 uses.

      Delete
  6. Good luck on that, but it's such a shame when people convert to Tumblr completely! Stick around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I don't plan to leave this place. I have too much to say.

      Delete