Monday, January 16, 2012

The Oprah Winfrey Show

Did anyone else catch the episode titled: "Black For A Day"? Normally, I'm actually not a fan of her show but my uncle happened to be watching it this afternoon and it focused on a topic I have much interest in: Racism.

Her "guests" of the day were a couple of people who actually went undercover in the guise of different ethnicities to see how people treated them differently. For example, a black man used make-up to take on the appearance of a white man, a white man took pills that darkened his skin to that of a black.

I won't say it was "eye-opening" for me. It would probably be eye-opening for white Americans though. They're always so surprised when they "discover" that racism still survives today. "I didn't know people like that still existed! I mean, sure there are racists, but I didn't expect them here!" Or "I didn't know it was still so bad!"

I will say that racism in this country has mostly moved to a passive state. Things are better than they used to be. Most people aren't openly racist anymore. Moreover, most don't think they're racist. You might ask me, "What's the difference?" Well, let me tell you there is a difference. On the other hand, the passive variant has proven harder to uproot. The problem lies in the method and the awareness.

With regards to method: Education on the matter, actual contact with those people; these things increase tolerance (this works for religion, too). They do! But beyond that... what can we do? You can't force a person to treat everyone fairly, to consider everyone equally. Where do you draw the line? It will be too late when you listen to the evening news and hear, "Today, City Thought Police raided a local supermarket for discriminatory actions toward colored patrons."
For awareness: Well, as I said, everyone likes to think we've come sooo far, and yes, we have. But complacency is the stupidest thing we could possibly choose to reward ourselves with for that achievement. I mean, come on guys. "We done good. Let's take a break for a few decades." That's retarded.

================================
You might have noticed that I've filled this post with links to comedians' bits regarding racism. Well, yeah, they're funny and some of my favorites but also what did you expect? News articles? Hahahaha, bless your soul. Here in America, we can't rely on "journalists" or politicians to deal with scary, scary reality anymore. I, and many others, have turned to comedians to cut the shit these days.


19 comments:

  1. I think that anti-racism has come a long way, and I've met plenty of black people that really destroy any and all stereotypes. One problem though is that these stereotypes are still everywhere. Rather than focus on how similar people are, everyone focuses on what's different. I'd like to think I'm not a racist but if you have to reassure people you aren't, there's a good chance you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely racist in general but my saving grace is that I give the individuals I meet a chance, without pre-conception. (I try, anyway.)

      Delete
    2. Well nearly everyone has pre-existing notions they will fall back on on anything. Not just race but social status and even jobs. If someone is in manual labour you assume they're brutish and unintelligent and if someone is a writer you are assume they are intelligent. That was until people kept publishing autobiographies. The best thing to do is offer people a chance.

      Delete
  2. I agree, people aren't less racist. Just less openly racist, well unless they are border guards or airport security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha insert TSA joke here. But seriously, I consider racial profiling a separate matter. It is quintessential 'racism' but that is not a sufficient argument against its efficacy.

      Delete
  3. On it being eye opening for white folks don't believe it Henry.

    As a white man from a city with many people of different colours I know racism still exists. When ever it is all white people together with no other race around theres always one or two that start up with racist commnets.

    I use to move furniture for a living and I worked with all white guys and one chinese guy. When ever he was around people called him Chris when ever he wasn't most people called him the chinaman.

    One time someone was gonna tell a rasist joke about native americans and Chris walked in and the guy stopped talking cause he didn't wanna offend a minority and Chris had to remind him he wasn't gonna be ofended cause he told racist jokes about native americans too!

    And when I worked at 7-11 I worked with an East Indian fellow and my manager was Oriental lady and so many costumers would ask me how I handle working with "those people"! (one even asked me how I like working with "that chinky girl" in earshot of my boss)

    Rasism is everywhere. But I mostly see it when there is only white people around. So be afraid, be cautious your race is still held agaisnt you in many places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhoho, no need to warn me, friend! On the other hand, I, myself, find racist jokes hilarious.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Indeed, I never thought someone could or would do something like that.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to see if I can check this episode out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone is a bit racist really, even if you're just nicer to visitors from another country you're treating them nicer because they are different. Not saying thats anywhere near what negative things racism can cause, but just saying that people will always have a fraction of racism in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to be pedantic I'd say that 'racism' isn't the issue really, it's bigotry and prejudice.

      Delete
  7. soo true... so true and sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see racism "fading away" and I think that might just be because of the racial diversity here in Western Canada. At least in urban areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, an assuredly effective method! If you grow up around Them you don't feel like They're aliens and outsiders, no?

      Delete
  9. How freaky did the people look? Whenever people do that race change thing they always look terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, damn, dude, if I had seen them in the street I wouldn't have looked twice. They looked nothing like their old selves.

      Delete