Saturday, January 21, 2012

How Great is the Internet? \(⊙ ワ ⊙)/

Here's an example of how amazing the internet can be. So a group of us Sasuke fans started to notice that a lot of the music used on the program sounded familiar. Most obviously to me was the ending credits song: "Victory" from the Naruto soundtrack. Not too hard for most to identify since Naruto is one of those mainstream anime series. But then things got harder.
"This song sounds so familiar, but what is it?! WHAT IS IT?!?!
"Oh, I knew I heard it from somewhere. It's from Chicken Run [2000]."
Then the pool of knowledge dries up to puddle size: "What is that music that plays when the camera pans over Stage 2's obstacles during Sasuke 22?"



What the fuck, right? That's almost an impossible task. How the hell am I supposed to find that straw of knowledge in the haystack of all the music ever created? Well, damn, Internet to the rescue! Lookie here, someone comes in and tells us that the song is called "Operation Room" and it comes from a PS3 game called Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight, a.k.a. Crossfire in the U.S.
Without this "internet" thing, how would i have found that? Asking my family members? Neighbors? How far can I reach from my chair? Across the world, apparently. (^___^)

14 comments:

  1. That is some great music and I'm glad you gave us the answer or I would have gone crazy. I kinda can't believe they use music from Naruto though. Still, it pleases me I would have gotten that one. Maybe. I once saw someone on the internet identify someone just from their ass. These people are classy bastards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't be hard at all to believe that they'd use music from Naruto on a show called Sasuke.
      _O) (nyuk nyuk nyuk)

      Incidentally, I know exactly which ass (yep) you are talking about. I posted a screencap of that 4chan thread on on my Tumblr.

      Delete
    2. Well yes that seems obvious but I meant more that I thought it would be copyrighted or trademarked to Naruto/Toshiro Masuda (who as far as I know wrote and composed them). Though if it is I guess they could have asked permission.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the internet is awesome for reasons like this exactly. This is smile worthy already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for collective intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always said that with an internet connection the world is at your fingertips. I never imagined this truth might become threatened here.

      Delete
  4. I love the internet hivemind. :) And Ninja Warrior too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten answers in minutes to some really obscure and vague childhood recollections that I couldn't remember for years here http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really gotten into Reddit, but damn! This is amazing! Thank you.

      Delete