Friday, January 13, 2012

All Hope Is Not Lost, Penny Pigtails #1

===================================================
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
I may use more colorful language in this blog from this point on. By that I mean profanity. True, I haven't been stingy with it thus far but I just want you forewarned to the increased levels of it in the days to come. There's a quote by some clever wag floating around saying something to the effect of "the use of course language betrays a feeble intellect" (Delivered in a posh and condescending accent). Well, that's witty and all but entirely rhetorical and unfounded on real life. I've known many foul-mouthed intellectuals and a good number of well-spoken fools. I have no doubts you all have made acquaintances of your own shares, eh?
===================================================

 Now on to the post topic.

We live in some interesting times, people. No, no, I'm not even referring to so-called "important" stuff like politics and shit. I'm talking about the polarity between Awesome and Suck that defines American society today. I will elaborate.

#1. As a whole, the U.S. has become more secular. Say what you want about how the Founding Fathers created a nation with a separation between church and state. It didn't happen. In the letter, sure, maybe. In practice, no. You can see evidence attesting to that fact on our currency, in the various rituals both legal (...and nothing but the truth so help you God?) and political (one nation, under God, indivisible) and, of course, looking at the population that lives here. Christianity still has a nominally solid hold on America but I am pleased to say that most people only pay lip service to their professed faith.
d-(^__________^)-b
You only have to observe a person in the course of their daily life to discover this. What drives a person? What concerns weigh on his/her mind? Thankfully, these days religion features in fewer of these answers. I attribute this to a generally wealthier (yes, even now) and more public institutionally educated society. Most people these days don't learn their "Readin', 'Ritin' and 'Rithmetic" in a one room schoolhouse on which the townspeople keep an eye to ensure their children aren't being taught witchcraft and devil worship. For better or worse, the typical contemporary's motivations tend toward the selfish. That's good! Fewer and fewer people let sexually repressed male virgins priests dictate how they should live their lives.
Furthermore, tolerance is well on the rise, especially my generation and up (or is it down?). Younger. My generation and younger. At least, it grows where the bigoted parents don't find it in time. I once encountered a white cab driver who told me all about how he had done his part to keep the "great Amurrican nayshun" clean by marrying a white woman and having a pure-blood white child. Otherwise, he remained perfectly civil and polite. (A well-spoken fool, no?) I think he truly meant it when he said he'd "done his part" as he betrayed no palpable malice towards my yellowness. I suppose his love of green overcame it, maybe? After helping me with my bags he assured me that his son would grow up indoctrinated with his ideals. Then he bid me good night and left.
Ok, that story had to do with race not religion but extrapolate the message yourself.

Do remember that I speak in generalities. I live here. Before you respond to me with all kinds of anecdotal evidence of fanaticism, excerpts from Fox News broadcasts, etc., recall that I'm an anti-religious Chinese male in America. I know plenty about societal prejudice.

Now if only I was, I dunno, an unattractive (<-this is important) female Jewish Middle Eastern Muslim Nazi Communist who grew up in the ghetto THEN I'd be an expert, eh? Eh? hahahahaha

Once again, I find I'm going to have to split this post for the sake of digestibility.

11 comments:

  1. I thought "under God" was added to the pledge and was not originally there. But it is true that there was a lot of religion from the get-go, and seems to still be there. Dubya said that God spoke to him, and that was one of the main drives behind his re-election, at least in my opinion. I have some faith in God but I don't really care much for Church, or the faith of others. Oh and I don't really mind swearing much, I can swear a fair bit myself. I don't think swearing makes a person seem less intelligent unless they say "fuck" four time a sentence and between every word. There are times when a curse word is the only suitable thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was added sometime in the 1900s. Not Founding Father stuff there. Haha, speaking of quotes, Mark Twain had a good one for that:
      "Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

      Delete
  2. I feel let down. Salad Fingers tag and no Salad Fingers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the only Salad Fingers was the reference in the title. Sorry. (^_^)7

      Delete
  3. Dang sounds like it took an arrow to the knee

    ReplyDelete
  4. One small baby step at a time, perhaps a larger proportion of younger generation should vote for a younger candidate in the interest of the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's partly why we have Obama. He's unlike any President we've ever had. (A combo breaker, if you will.)

      Delete
  5. I don't know. I've done my fair share of visiting the states for both work and fun in the last 10 years, and I find it really depends on what city/region you are in. But yeah generally the richer the place, the less overtly religious people you see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, this graphic might be of some interest to you. Note that the U.S. is still up there in the 60-70% range.
      http://i.imgur.com/c5mzr.jpg

      Delete
    2. That chart is fascinating. The U.S. really is an odd outlier.

      Delete