Monday, December 12, 2011

Quotes

I don't care for quotes. People use them too often when they want to prove a point. This is quintessential Appeal to Authority, a logical fallacy. That and perhaps they lack the wit to formulate their thoughts as pointedly as the other person. The latter reason, I can understand. Not everyone possesses equally sharp blades in that respect.

Dead words from oft dead people as I like to think. I don't care how worthy the man those words came from was in his day. Times change, people change, and the words should change, too.

Lastly, I want words from the person I'm talking to, not his/her imaginary back-up. Sadly, these days the art of rhetoric turns more and more towards appealing to the common denominator. There are so few opportunities to have scintillating conversations now....
(__- -)=3

Treasure your intelligent friends, people. And if you don't have any, that better be because you don't have friends at all. In my opinion that would be far better than surrounding one self with idiots.

3 comments:

  1. The fountain of doubt? Again, with you. Though I do have a tendency to use quotes, I don't like people who overuse them, and I have managed to think of some good ones myself along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've... I can't even think of anyone I know personally who uses quotes to defend themselves or anything. Mention them as fun at most. Guess I'm lucky over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mark: A good quote, in context, can be great. Too often, the (wo)man is misquoted. Wonder if they roll over in their graves.

    @D4: I envy you, sir.

    ReplyDelete