Monday, June 20, 2011

Movie Trailers

Some trailers just disappoint me so much. The trailer makes the movie look so good but then I go see the movie and it falls flat. Yes, the purpose of a trailer is to sell the movie and attract viewers and oftentimes the movie isn't good or doesn't live up to the hype. This post is about specific instances when the gulf between expectation and reality turned out especially wide.

Then there are the trailers that contain the best parts and/or edit footage from the movie so that it makes stuff seem to happen that didn't. That might seem confusing so I'll start with that.

The most recent instance of that one would be the A-Team [2010]. In the trailer you had Mr. T whistling the A-Team theme song while masquerading as a window cleaner. That was awesome. It didn't happen in the movie. (ㅎ︵ㅎ)

Your Highness [2011] looked like it would be so funny. Sadly, it seems that they used every single one of their good jokes in that trailer. Wait, let me phrase that more scathingly: Sadly, it seems that every single one of their good jokes fit into that 3 and 1/2 minute trailer. The rest of the 1 hour 40 minutes ended up as filler.

Hancock [2008] is an odd bit.



In fact, I liked the movie. It could have been better but it wasn't bad. I actually appreciated how the trailer kept such a good lid on the twist! Truly a rare feat these days. If you haven't seen it...you probably won't so I'll deliver spoilers with abandon. When Charlize Theron revealed that she had super powers, I was legitimately surprised. That doesn't happen too often, let me tell you. Unfortunately, the latter half of the movie broke down and its ending lacked any kind of impact but over-all it remained an entertaining film. My disappointment with the trailer lies more with the fact that the movie didn't go as far with its premise as it could and should have. Ironically, despite my satisfaction with the trailer's non-spoiler-ness, I wish the movie had stuck with what the trailer made it seem to be about.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I had never even heard of Your Highness until now I guess that supports your review.

    I liked Hancock, in a not the best movie ever type of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first movie seems funny. I've seen Hancock and the Charlize thing having super powers was a bit predictable for me, I have to say that it made interesting the movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hankock is a good movie to have a good time witrh friends but nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey.. I'm not quite sure why, it probably has to do with the fact that I have a smaller screen, but all the text just keeps going all the way through to your sidebar. It's not exactly comfortable to read o_o

    ReplyDelete
  5. AND IT JUST FIXED ITSELF AND I FEEL LIKE AN ASS

    ReplyDelete
  6. having a good trailer is economically more important than having a good film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trailers these days are so often misleading. It would be cool to see some director's cut trailers once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought hancock was alright, although i thought the story got abit meh half way through

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate when trailers show the entire film in 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a hate that they remove great parts from the trailers too! It happened with inglourious basterds! in the trailer you see one of the basterds running through the halls with a mini gun just shooting and yelling.....in the movie it never happened! and it was also not on the deleted scenes!! WTF

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Highness looked so bad from the trailers i didn't even want to see it, Join twitter and follow me

    ReplyDelete