Monday, August 6, 2012

Post-Apocalyptic

Today my brother pointed out that I like post-apocalyptic stuff "too much".
I retort that I like it just the right amount: "lots".

You can make any kind of story set in regular times. There's a virtually unlimited supply of resources out there in a pre-apocalyptic world. That ain't interesting! But in the aftermath of an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it scenario people will have to survive by scraping up the remnants of civilizations decadence. Bullets will be in finite supply since the factories and advanced manufacturing technology will have been destroyed. Clean water will be scarce. That's a cool premise! Movies like The Book of Eli [2010], books like H.G. Wells' The Time Machine, and video games like Fallout get me in a special way because of these little details.


3 comments:

  1. I find post-apocalyptic stuff quite fascinating too. How people react, what they decide to leave in the old world, how they manage to piece civilization back together. The only problem I really have with the PA world is that the apocalypse is always the same. It's always zombies or a nuclear fallout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd, I've seen plague stories, robot takeover stories and even gradual-decline-of-civilization stories.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking of batman and superman. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete