Friday, August 3, 2012

Memorabilia

So you remember those kewl taekwondo pins they're selling over in the Team USA shop?

When I get my hands on one of those I'm going to cherish it cuz it's so cool. But is it really something to get excited about? Is it really special and/or rare? Well, no. They sell 'em to anyone who wants one or three. But I think about it and I believe I could go my whole life and never encounter another person in the street with this pin displayed on their backpack. I believe that makes it rare in a de facto manner, doesn't it? There could be a giant stockpile of these left sitting in a warehouse somewhere when the 2016 Olympics come around but that doesn't mean anything to the rest of us, does it? Does it matter? Not really.

I still want one. When I click on the Shop link on the official London 2012 Olympics website it automatically re-directs me to the Team USA shop. You guys who live in other countries, does your Olympic shop sell different looking TKD pins? I'm pretty sure these products aren't individually designed, these are official London Olympic memorabilia.

3 comments:

  1. Those are pretty cool, I can see why you would want them. I say buy them if you want them. When I went through the shop on the official website it just sent me to a shop that covered the Olympics with a separate section for Team GB, so I guess that while each team shop has different things, the main shop doesn't sell different designs for different areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing though, it doesn't seem like there is a 'main shop', at least not one that's open to me here in the States. Did the shop that covered the Olympics offer tkd pins? Does your Team GB shop sell tkd pins that look different from the team USA ones? When I click on the link to the Teaem GB shop I actually get re-directed to Team USA again!

      Delete