Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Disney Movies - Saludos Amigos [1942]

The next six movies in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series are collections of more than one short film each. Disney wouldn't go back to big feature films until safely after the end of WWII with the release of Cinderella [1950]. None of the movies since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs had done very well financially because of the ongoing war in Europe. (War on home soil tends to put a damper on movie-going.) I've never heard of any of these except this one and the next one, The Three Caballeros [1944], because they were mentioned in my high school history class. In the early 1940s, the U.S. government was worried about the spread of fascism from eastern Europe into Latin America. To promote goodwill between between the U.S. and its neighbors, the State Department appointed Walt Disney as an ambassador to travel south with an entourage of his studio peeps to make a film about South American culture. Ain't history cool?


Anyway, watching these shorts, (and speaking of shorts, he's not wearing any pants) I realized that I haven't seen Donald Duck in years! Not since I last played Kingdom Hearts.










And then Goofy shows up in the third segment, El Gaucho Goofy, and guess what he's doing?
Media watchdog types would be over-reacting all over this today.
All in all, a lighthearted bit of entertainment. I think I'll go watch Screamers [1995] now to wash this goodwill out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment