Saturday, February 1, 2014

Disney Movies - Dumbo [1941]

I don't want to start off negative but the first thing I noticed was a definite drop in production value compared to the previous three films. I'd say the art and animation quality of Dumbo is closer to a run-of-the-mill TV episode than a feature film.

The only thing I previously knew about Dumbo was that he was a flying elephant. For some reason I'd always pictured him jumping out of the back of a C-17.
Might have gotten that idea from this on a poster.
Naturally, this movie isn't really about that at all. It's about a child who's born different and has to find his place in the world. Dumbo doesn't actually do any flying until the last 10 minutes of the movie during the climax.

Watching this after Fantasia really underscored how "highbrow" that other movie came across. Maybe it's because Dumbo is set in a circus but most of the gags were childish. I don't think I would have liked it as a kid. I know I said I wouldn't have liked Fantasia either, but that one for different reasons.
There's a joke to be made here...

No comments:

Post a Comment