Friday, December 26, 2014

The Enkindling

Also got the official Amazon leather case, blue.
I got a Kindle Paperwhite (2nd generation) and I'm going to use it to read picture books, ha-HAA!! Stickin' it to The Man, yeah...
I mean mangas, I'm primarily going to use it to read mangas. I have a significant digital backlog that I never bite into when I'm on the computer directly and this will give me the mobility and access I so sorely need to really get into it.

I love physical books still, without question, hard or paperback. In addition, the idea that your book can "run out of battery" offends me. Nevertheless, let no one mistake me for a modern-day Luddite. I concede that Kindles, and other e-readers of course, are unquestionably more convenient in a number of ways. You can store the equivalent of several backpacks worth of books on a single one of these. But why would you need more than one book at a time, anyway? Well, maybe I like to jump around between several books depending on my mood. I don't actually do this, b-but I can now, if I wanted to, alright? On the specific topic of mangas and comics though, multiply the convenience factor by an arbitrary amount of "a lot". The public libraries and local bookstores aren't exactly up to date with their manga inventories, you know? And that's not even factoring in Japan-USA publishing rights and all that mess. Without this Kindle, my manga reading progress would probably have continued to stagnate for an indefinite period. But no more.

If you zoomed in on that picture you'd see that at the moment I have Fullmetal Alchemist, a collection of Junji Ito's work, Naruto, and Karin in addition to Aesop's Fables and The Count of Monte Cristo. Quite a mix, I should say.

Also, it's name is Silo.

No comments:

Post a Comment